I have learned how to appreciate the simple act of recognition. Having lived in a small town, where everybody, everywhere knows your middle name and the color of your house, where it is impossible to make a quick errand to the grocery store because anyone over the age of 5 wants to know how your life is going, where you have to consider which waitress you want to see when making a choice between the two restaurants in town, where you have to consider your hairdresser and favorite walmart employee when picking out christmas gifts, where the postmaster will pay for your shipping charges with his personal credit card because you forgot yor money at home (true story), where the local veteranarian makes house calls on a sunday night (true story), where your UPS man feeds your dogs a part of his lunch because his dog treats did not suffice (true story), where you know exactly when the mentally handicapped man walks to the park, carrying his lunchbox everyday that the sun shines (yet another true story).
I have a love/hate relationship with small towns.
It's amazing how lonely a person can feel, sitting in the middle of a sizeable crowd. It's impossible to see a familiar face in this crazy city. I never thought I'd treasure the beautiful words that came from the coffee shop worker...
"it's good to see you again!"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment