
Stuck in the midst of a concrete jungle, surrounded by vehicles housing individuals with lives foreign to my simplistic mind, creeping at a steady 5 mile-an-hour pace, my foot hovering gently over the brake to avoid a bumper-to-bumper mishap, flipping between radio stations trying to find something that will occupy my wandering mind, exchanging glances with the obviously stressed 30-something female driving her shiny Lexus, glancing at the clock that reads a life-shattering 5:14, knowing that if the bagel-trip had been made two hours earlier, the endless commute would’ve been two hours shorter… life in the big city, what?
My naivety always assumed that independence would forever remain a few blocks away, not to be suddenly proven a mere few steps from where I stand. A rude T-Mobile kiosk worker briskly told me to “grow-up” when I informed him that my cell phone minutes still belonged to the Alltel family-plan and I didn’t need his service. As each day passes, I find myself realizing that the days spent in mom’s closet trying on her shoes are merely a passing memory. Since when did growing up become such a necessity? I feel like a ten year old a lot more often than I probably should. I don’t want to trade the simplicity of youth for money problems, mental instability, rejection, mature relationships, pregnancy, debt, bills, and becoming an actual, functioning individual.
Filling out job application after application after application still confuses me, for my first impression when the pressing need of college bills comes creeping in… working? ‘Why would I ever need to work? I’m a kid!’ Fending for myself isn’t as fun as I had hoped. The cereal box is running dry because cooking an actual meal seems like too much work to be enjoyed alone. Reaching for the map when I find myself uncomfortable in a risky part of town, repressing the desire to call mommy for quick and easy directions. Choosing cold, hard-earned cash, instead of dad’s credit card to pay for gas that will take me to the next job interview. Glancing the Target parking lot up and down before quickly jogging to my car before an unsuspecting, shady individual can think twice about approaching. Wait…. Is this what ‘growing up’ feels like?
Toto… we are not in Kansas anymore.
Joshua 1:9 - "Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."

2 comments:
I love that this exists. I miss you.
Viva la independence... and put keys in your finger crevices as you jaunt across target lots.
Post a Comment